Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Prison Break: A Colossal Disappointment

I really liked Prison Break in the first few seasons. But this last season has been a monumental snooze-fest. Back on January 15, I wrote in this blog (here) how disappointed I was in the show, liking it to being trapped in one of Dante’s Circles of Hell.

The subsequent episodes since my last blog on the show, and especially the finale that aired yesterday (“Art of the Deal”) left me confused and confounded. They seemed to be trying to build some mystery with the “Whistler” character (Chris Vance) but it just drummed up no interest, no suspense. In fact, the whole hype with them breaking out of Sona was not only anti-climactic, but it was sloppy and unbelievable.

Also count me as confused as to why Mahone (William Fichtner) now seemed to be sleeping with the enemy. Instead on sparking some interest in me, I had the opposite reaction that I just didn’t seem to care. It seems that this season they took what was an excellent character for the show and just destroyed whatever value he had. A shame, since William Fichtner did a fantastic job when Mahone was at the top of his game.

I said it before and I’ll say it again- can they get rid of Bellick (Wade Williams) once and for all? And he can take T-Bag (Robert Knepper) with him. It seems that both characters don’t add much to the story any more, except maybe to show how sick T-Bag is supposed to be. Yeah, we get it already.

It seems like when – or if – the show returns, that Linc (Dominic Purcell) and Michael (Wentworth Miller) may be going their separate ways. That could be the best thing, seeing that Linc really has nothing to run from anymore and he has his son back. There’s really no purpose for him any more.

This show used to be very intense and dark, with a lot of creative storytelling and suspenseful characters. Now, it’s just dark. Seeing Sucre (Amaury Nolasco) beaten to a pulp and then nearly buried alive served no purpose. T-Bag's murderous ways served no purpose. In fact, the whole storyline with the escape and Whistler didn’t seem to have much of a purpose either. There just didn't seem to be much of a story with Whistler, except for his mysterious bird book with code written inside. But the suspense with the supposed value of the book itself just fell flat.

Personally, I think this show was ruined the minute they killed Sara (Sarah Wayne Callies), eliminated Kellerman (Paul Adelstein), and walked into Sona. In a way, when the show walked into that prison, they trapped themselves, and the viewers, in a lackluster story line.

Now that they are out, I may be out too. This is one show that if it returns, I’m not sure if I will return with it.

Check out my blog home page for the latest information, HERE!

No comments: