Tuesday, October 14, 2008

CSI Miami: “Raging Cannibal” A Raging Bore

I’m really glad that I spent my Monday evening watching the Cleveland Browns maul the New York Giants. At least there was some drama there, seeing that it was expected that the Browns were facing certain humiliation.

But the only humiliation Monday evening should be with the producers, writers, and cast of CSI Miami. The episode “Raging Cannibal” was devoid of drama and interest.

The episode was about a double murder in the Everglades and the Russian mob. Frankly, crime shows have done the whole Russian mob thing to death. In fact, mob-centered storylines in general have become a bore. But it is made even worse when it seems that the cast is just going through the motions. You know, for a minute there, I almost thought that David Caruso was channeling Jack Webb – AKA Joe Friday of the old series “Dragnet.” During one scene I had looked away from the screen, and when heard Horatio talking, for split second I thought that when I looked back to the screen I would be seeing Joe Friday saying, “Just the facts, M’am. “

Frankly, I am not sure what else to write about the episode. It really didn’t interest me. There wasn’t much suspense in the crime, and the forensics were dull. The only hopeful spot seems to be Dr. Tara Price (Megalyn Echikunwoke) who seems to be working out pretty well in her role as the new ME. The one person who I am becoming increasingly annoyed with is Ryan Wolfe (Jonathan Togo). Besides the fact that he really never seems to be doing much of anything except taking credit for everyone else’s work, he makes some of the worst wardrobe choices. I swear he gets his clothes from Ringling Brothers.

But the case? Dull. Too much gratuitous blood and gore. Really now, did the guy really need to bite the other guy in the neck and open up one of his main arteries? I can’t imagine in this day of blood-borne diseases that even an idiot would want to do this. OK, this is CSI Miami, where idiots rule.

Of course, Horatio gets his man in Ivan Sarnoff (Andrew Divoff). Unfortunately, Ivan already had someone else ready to take the rap for the murder. As Sarnoff leaves the Miami Dade Police department, Horatio warns, I’m after you, Ivan, and I'm going to get you." This means this could be Horatio’s new nemesis, who will probably show up in a later episode where Horatio does get him.

And that is unfortunate for us.


Check out my blog home page for the latest information, here.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I too was watching MNF but I was cheering for the Giants. Congrats to the Browns. Who would have thought the Browns would sink the Super Bowl champs? Still haven't seen last night's CSI Miami epidsode and after reading your review, I wonder if I should even bother.